Audience: Franklin University students.
Disclaimer: The results and functionality of the following article only apply to the audience listed above.
Preferred Name: Your preferred name is a display name that can be altered to show as you wish in certain parts of Franklin University student systems.
Official Record Name: Your official record with the University will follow your legal name. Therefore, even if you have changed your preferred name (instructions below), certain parts of our University systems will be unaffected by this change if they require a legal name. For example, your student record, your transcript, and other processes will continue to rely on your legal name.
- If you are looking for an legal name change for your full student record, please click here.
Preferred name changes and pronouns preferences will need to be set in Self Service. Changes to your preferred name that do not take place in Self Service will likely be overwritten by daily automated processes. Changes made in Self Service may take up to 8 hours to apply to certain displays in the following systems:
- Self Service
- and more
Instructions for Preferred Name and Pronouns Change
1. Log into selfservice.franklin.edu with your student account.
2. Click on your name in the upper right hand corner and select User Profile.
3. In your user profile, select Edit Personal Identity to update your preferred name and pronouns. Make sure to save changes when finished. If nothing is populated in either editable field, than preferred name and pronouns are pulling instead from the official student record.
1. Please make sure to only make preferred name adjustments in Self Service. Changes made in other systems such as Canvas, will likely be reverted.
2. Please do not include special characters such as: " * & and more. Such characters will be removed. However, hyphens will be accepted.
3. Please allow up to 8 hours after your changes are made in Self Service for this change to reflect in the systems listed above.
4. If you are not currently registered for courses, your preferred name change will update 8 hours after your next registration.
5. If you have questions regarding a university system where the preferred name change is not displayed after making a change, please consult the Help Desk. Some systems may not accept preferred name changes if they require official names for regulation.
Wish to log a request with the Help Desk? Use your Franklin University username and password to login: Log A Request