Audience: Franklin University students with active university accounts.
Disclaimer: The results and functionality of the following article only apply to the audience listed above.
Microsoft Teams is enabled for students to collaborate with other students.
- Installing the Teams Client and Signing In
- Teams Space for Students
- Chat, Video Call, and File Share with Classmates
Installing the Teams Client and Signing In
Teams may be preferable when using a downloaded version to your device. However, Teams will also work in your computer browser at the following website: https://teams.microsoft.com/
- PC/Mac: Navigate to the following website and click the link appropriate for your operating system: https://teams.microsoft.com/downloads
- iOS: Download the Teams app from the App Store: https://aka.ms/iosteams
- Android: Download the Teams app from the Play Store: https://aka.ms/androidteams
1. Start Teams.
- In Windows, click Start > Microsoft Corporation > Microsoft Teams.
- On Mac, go to the Applications folder and click Microsoft Teams.
- On mobile, tap the Teams icon.
2. Sign in with your Franklin email address and password.
3. Your first time signing in will require using multi-factor authentication. For more information about MFA, please click here.
Teams Space for Students
Chat, Video Call, and File Share with Classmates
- Any current student taking Franklin University courses can chat, video call, and file share with classmates and faculty.
If you wish to have a direct one-on-one chat with your professor or classmate, or if you wish to start a group chat, go into the Chat feature in Teams.
There, you can use this icon to start a new chat session.
Type to search for your professor's name.
If you are looking for a fellow student, you can search for them by their email address. If this is your first time communicating with them, you may need to search for their email address in the top Search bar before starting a chat (rather than using the To field of a new message).
If you have already chatted with them in Teams, you can enter their username or email address into the chat creation window.
In Teams chat, you can search for multiple names to start a group chat. Once you have started a group chat, you can change the name of the group chat as shown below (pencil icon).
Once a chat session is established, you can start an audio or video call with the individual or group using these icons in the corner of the chat.
Once in a group call, to monitor your meeting microphone and camera settings, use the More Options Menu (3 dots) and select Settings and then Device Settings.
If you record the video call, the recording will start processing after the call has completed. After the recording processes, it can be accessed from your OneDrive. Additionally, you can get an access link for the recording in OneDrive (click here for the link) and opening the Recordings folder.
Files can be shared in chat. Use the icon shown here when typing your chat reply to file share.
Please note that by default, files are shared in view-only mode. To allow those in the chat to edit the file, please click on the message People in this chat with the link can view. This will open a menu to allow others to be able to edit and collaborate on the file.