Audience: Franklin University faculty, staff, adjuncts, and students.
Disclaimer: The results and functionality of the following article only apply to the audience listed above.
Microsoft Teams is a powerful tool for collaboration that is available for all Franklin University students, staff, faculty, and adjuncts. To record your collaboration sessions, you will first need to schedule a meeting. More information is below.
You can download and install the Microsoft Teams desktop client at the following link: https://teams.microsoft.com/downloads
Scheduling a Meeting
1. Launch the Teams client and click the Meetings tab on the left-hand navbar.
2. Fill out your meeting details on the next screen. Students can ignore the "Select a channel to meet in" and "Location" dropdowns as these features are not available to students.
3. Fill in the email addresses of your attendees on the right and click Schedule when you are satisfied.
4. You'll then be taken back to the Meetings tab, and you'll be able to navigate through the calendar interface and see and select your meeting. This meeting should also be visible in your calendar within your email located at http://mail.franklin.edu
When the time for the meeting has arrived, select the meeting by clicking on it in the calendar view and then click the Join button in the top right. This will join the meeting.
5. You'll see the audio and video setup screen below. The sliders beneath the "Join now" button allow you to mute or unmute your camera and microphone before joining the room. You can click Custom Setup to choose which devices you would like to use as a camera and microphone if you have more than one on your computer. You can also join with no audio by clicking the "Audio off" button. Once you are satisfied, click the "Join now" button. You are now in the meeting.
Recording a Meeting
1. Inside of a meeting, hover over your picture in the middle of the screen and the meeting toolbar will appear. Click the ... button.
2. Click Start Recording
3. The recording will begin and you will see a red circle to the left of the meeting toolbar.
4. When you are ready to stop recording, click the "..." button on the meeting toolbar and then click "Stop recording"
5. Click "Stop recording"
6. You'll then see a message that the recording is being processed and will be available shortly.
Retrieving a Recording
1. If you are still in the meeting, after the recording has finished processing you can access it from the Chat window. Click the speech bubble button on the meeting toolbar to open the Meeting chat pane, and then select "..." to reveal the options for the video. Click "Open" to play the video in your web browser. Click "Get Link" to obtain the direct link to the recording and be able to share it with others.
2. If the meeting has ended, it will show up in the Chat tab of teams under the Recent section. From this chat window you'll see options to mange the recording.
Teams meeting recordings will be stored in OneDrive or SharePoint, depending on the type of meeting.
For channel meetings, the recording will be stored in a Recordings folder in the Files tab for the channel.
The Files tab stores all files in a SharePoint site and document library for the channel. Everyone who is a part of the channel will have permission to edit and view the recording.
All other meetings
For non-channel meetings, the recording will be stored in the Recordings folder in the OneDrive directory of the person who started the recording.
Note: Only the organizer of the meeting and the person who started the recording will be able to edit the recording. But everyone invited to the meeting will be able to view the recording.
Share a link to a meeting recording with others
If you recorded or organized the meeting, you can share the recording with people who weren't invited to the meeting—by just sharing it like you would share any other file.
Just find the file in OneDrive or SharePoint and share it directly with people or copy a link and share it however you like.
If you weren't the person who recorded or organized the meeting, you can still share the recording with people weren't invited to the meeting. However, the meeting organizer or the the meeting recorder will need to approve your share action before other people will get access.
Download a meeting recording
Only the meeting recorder and organizer will be able to download the meeting recording. All other attendees will only be able to view it.
Additional documentation regarding meeting recordings is available from Microsoft here: